28th February 2019

The UK and Spanish Governments have agreed that UK citizens will be able to travel to Spain in either a Deal or No-Deal scenario with little to no requirement for additional documentation or procedure.

The political process is still ongoing and no one really knows the final outcome, but in the meantime, we have gathered reliable information and advice around flights, visas and general travel. 


UK citizens can be reassured that regardless of the Brexit outcome planes will still fly between the UK and the EU. According to ABTA "if a deal is agreed then we will be in a transition period, meaning everything will stay the same until the end of December 2020 and flights will continue as normal. 
Even if we are in a no-deal scenario, the European Commission has said that the UK airlines will still be able to operate between the UK and the EU. The UK government has offered similar assurances for EU airlines.” 


According to GOV.UK: "The rules for travel to most countries in Europe change if the UK leaves the EU with no deal. 

After 31 October 2019: 
  1. You should have at least 6 months left on your passport from your date of arrival. This applies to adult and child passports. 
  2. If you renewed a passport before it expired, up to 9 extra months may have been added to your new passport’s expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the 6 months that should be remaining for travel to most countries in Europe. 
The new rules will apply to passports issued by the UK, Gibraltar, Guernsey, the Isle of Man and Jersey." 

Read more on the Gov.UK site for the list of countries affected


According to Gov.uk "If the UK leaves the EU with a deal, travel to the EU will remain the same as now until at least 31 December 2020. You will not need to apply for a visa to travel or work in the EU during this time."


According to Gov.uk "If there is a deal, UK licence holders will be able to continue to drive in all EU and EEA countries using their UK driving licence. 
In the event that there is a no-deal, the government will seek to put in place new arrangements for EU and EEA countries to recognise UK driving license when people are visiting, UK driving licence holders may need an International Driving Permit (IDP) in addition to their UK driving licence…"
Read more about driving in the EU and EEA from 31 October 2019.

European Health Insurance Card: 

According to ABTA: "The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows any EU citizen to access state medical care when they are travelling in another EU country. In the even of a no-deal Brexit, UK registered EHICs will no longer be valid." 

In any scenario, we recommend clients to obtain their own, comprehensive travel insurance. See the travellers  checklist below for more details.

Checklist for travellers: 

Check your passport and the date when it expires.

  • Use the UK Government tool to check the validity of your passports under these new rules. You can also use this tool to check if your passport needs renewing: https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/check-a-passport  

European Health Insurance Card and Travel Insurance:

  • A comprehensive travel insurance policy should cover you regardless of a deal or no-deal scenario, so take one once you’ve booked your holiday as normal. MPO Travel recommends Citybond SureTravel, the ABTA approved travel insurance provider. Book through us and save 10% on single trip policies.

Driving Licenses: 

  • As long as you have a full UK driving licence, you currently don’t need an additional licence to drive in the EU but you will require an IDP.

Check for Updates: 

  • If it is a no-deal scenario, you may need to take new actions before travelling to an EU destination. Visit the Gov.uk site to find out more up-to-date information on what you need to do before travelling. 


If you're looking to book a villa holiday to Menorca and want to speak to a member of our knowledgeable team, get in touch using our Enquiry Form.  

Updated 03/10/19


back to all blogs

More from MPO Travel